Founded in Etruscan times, and called Galazia, Caserta is located north of Naples. In the twelfth century it became a county under the domination of Roger the Norman. The city continued to grow, passing under the rule of the Swabians, the Angevins and the Aragonese. But in 1656 a devastating epidemic hit the city, drastically decimating the population, and therefore the economy suffered. The Bourbons arrived in Caserta in the sixteenth century and the city experienced a golden age, with the realization of many great works of architecture. In fact, in 1744 Charles of Bourbon, King of Naples, decided to build a new royal palace that had to be compared with that of Versailles.
For his project he commissioned the architect Luigi Vanvitelli to carry out the works that began in 1752. Thus was born a monumental palace of extraordinary harmony and perfection - the Reggia di Caserta. Inside there are 1200 rooms, 1940 windows and 34 staircases.
About 10 km northeast of Caserta is the medieval village of Caserta Vecchia. This small and romantic town, founded in the eighth century by the Lombards and belonging to the Principality of Capua, was the seat of the bishopric since the ninth century. Its imposing cathedral in Siculo-Araborisal style to 1153 and is the center of the village. At the eastern entrance of Caserta Vecchia is the tower, about 30 meters high, which was the Maschio of a fortress of 900.